It occurs to me today that, if the world was operating as normal, I would be in France or Italy right now. I had a wee plan in my head at the beginning of the year to get to get to these places and look at the art from my art history books. That would have been three weeks starting this week – I had the time booked off from work. Instead, I moved my vacation days from this week so I could have time off in May. I still have two weeks off starting next week with no plans. No worry, no fuss. This is good too. Maybe I’ll start my holiday crafts. And by “start” I mean start doing holiday crafts at all, as I haven’t ever, really.
Some places I wanted to go:
- Paris – the louvre mostly. Other galleries I can’t remember. Just to be in Paris for a bit.
- Avignon/Arles – Van Gogh, and to be in southern France for a bit.
- Nice – to break up the distance between France and Italy
- Florence – the Renaissance
- Rome – ancient Rome – day trip to Pompeii
- London – I like London – some shows, some lunches from M&S. The usual.
That seems like enough over three weeks. London at the end because that’s sort of like going home – because I’ve been there several times now and it’s familiar, not because it’s actually home. Home is Canada where the trees are tall.
I usually have a trip to get excited for in fall, and that helps with the evenings getting darker. It’s fun to have the distraction of packing, and getting organized to go. This year I have other fun things to distract me:
- Waiting for my flu shot! When will they be here? When can I go?
- I need a new lightweight black jacket for spring and fall. My current incarnation was purchased during my first trip to Spain in 2012 and it shows. The fabric is fading. It’s still pretty, though. Maybe I’ll just Sharpie over the dull areas?
- My mum gave me her silk blouse to mend a year ago. I should get to that.
- Kimberly invited me to a Pampered Chef party a few weeks ago and I bought a popcorn maker. I’m going to have popcorn!
- I need to buy popcorn!
- The colours yellow, orange, red and green, all swirled together on the same leaf.
- Sweaters, when it gets cooler.
- At work today I learned about a massive hoodie-poncho-blankie thing with a pocket. I want one.
- I’ve started scanning my paper archive onto my computer so that I might store it on a small external hard drive instead of in six boxes stacked in the corner. Admittedly this maybe become three boxes. Or four. I have much precious paper: schoolwork, writing, journals, travel ephemera. I just found the journals/scrapbooks (paper-based!) that I kept on trips to San Francisco (2005) and Toronto/Ottawa/St. John’s (2007) that I forgot about. I used to take a paper journal with me when I traveled, and also tape so that I could attach ticket stubs and museum maps to the pages while I wrote.
- I have to clean up my flower pots on the balcony. There are some fresh buds appearing, so I should get rid of the dried up flowers to make room.
- This is morphing into a list of things to do during my days off.
- Feathers and brushes